Living a Simple Life

Minimalism is a word that is quickly sweeping the internet as people begin to search for more simplicity in their lives. This practice mainly consists of living a simpler life with a minimal amount of material possessions and striving for a life filled with more freedom. Minimalism does sound very freeing, but it might not be the best course for some people.

A different route is essentialism. In my life I do not strive to live with less, but rather live with mainly essentials. For me an essential is anything that makes life easier or allows me to multiply its possibilities. If it brings joy to my life it is an essential. If it moves me towards where I want to be it is an essential.

I strongly believe that if you do not prioritize your life someone or something else will. Personally, if I can keep my possessions to just the essentials then I have more time and freedom to do what truly gives me purpose and brings me joy. Eliminate the nonessentials and remove obstacles so the essentials have a clear passage.

We have all be given the power of choice and we should celebrate it. Do not feel that you have to own the newest and coolest things that everyone else is getting. Only possess things that are beneficial. When you are considering buying something new first ask yourself whether it is a “heck yes” or a “heck no.” If it is not a “heck yes” you should not get it.

Introduced as far back as the 1790s, Vilfredo Pareto developed the Pareto Principle. He found that 80% of effects come from 20% of the causes. He found this to be true with the amount of peas certain pea pods produced. This is also true in many aspects of real life. for example 20% of our clothes get 80% of the wear, 20 % of our friends bring us 80% of our happiness, and 20% of a business’s clients bring 80% of the revenue.

Examine all aspects of your life and find your 20%’s. Focus your attention on those things and omit the remaining 80%’s that do not produce results for you. Greg McKeown stated “the overwhelming reality is: we live in a world where almost everything is worthless and a very few things are exceptionally valuable.”

What brings you joy? What gives you purpose? What pushes you forward? Learn to distinguish the vital few from the trivial many.  Find your 20%’s and amplify them to maximize your life.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s